
Lucknow: India’s northern state Uttar Pradesh’s government is demanding for millions of rupees from over 200 people as a penalty for damaging the public property during the protests. Suffering with some of the violent protests of CAA, giving minorities who have migrated from neighbouring countries a path to citizenship but not same to the Muslims.
Salman a resident of Nethaur village who was shot by police in his stomach, who’s name has also appeared in a government notice demanding payments for damaging cost of public property with the hundred others of the same village. “We had never imagined such a tragedy would happen in our lives the only earning member of our family is bedridden so how can we pay them our earnings were already meagre about 200 or 300 rupees a day we don’t even have electricity in our house”, said Salman’s wife.
At least 20 people were killed, and many left their homes during the protests in December throughout the Uttar Pradesh, a state that have been tensions between the Hindu and Muslim communities. At least 230 such notices have been issued, and most of the people they had been issued to were Muslims, state government officials said on Thursday. The claims are likely to run into tens of millions of rupees, they said.
Goshen a four months pregnant lady whose husband Sabich who was arrested from her house, is also one of 39 people in the town to have received a notice to pay damages. Political analysts say that the governing Hindu nationalist party BJP was quick to penalize many Muslims for the protests and blamed them for any damages caused and there they are using the financial pressure and the police to try and silence them.